Special Events at Sugar Sand Park
***Sugar Sand Park Community Center is open Monday-Friday from 9am-8pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am-4pm for walk-in permit sales and customer service questions. 2020-2021 Beach, Boat, & Dog Permits are available for purchase at City Community Centers. City beach, boat, and dog park/beach permit-holders are still encouraged to renew permits online.
In a continued effort to protect employees and the public, facial coverings or masks are encouraged while conducting business in City of Boca Raton facilities. Individuals are encouraged to practice safety and follow CDC guidelines.
The Science Playground, Splash Pad, walking paths, athletic fields, & outdoor basketball courts at Sugar Sand Park are open for public use and are to be used at your own risk. Please note, the grassy area between the Community Center and the Field House (in front of pavilion 2 and 3 and next to the basketball courts) is closed for programming on Saturdays from 8am-1:30pm and Sundays from 8:30am-12:30pm.
Be advised that the Children's Science Explorium, Willow Theatre, Carousel, and Field House are currently closed.
We will begin taking reservations for pavilion rentals on Wednesday, May 12th for dates beginning with Friday, May 28th. All reservations must be done in person at sugar sand park community center.
Park visitors must practice social distancing—remaining out of congregate settings, avoiding mass gatherings and maintaining distance (approximately 6 feet or 2 meters) from others when possible. ***
Sugar Sand Park Community Center special events mission is to create a fun and unique family atmosphere, while providing the highest quality of entertainment, leisure, and/or educational programs in support of a single theme.
For questions regarding Special Events at Sugar Sand Park volunteer opportunities email: [email protected]
What will I be doing?
All of the events listed require great volunteers to help make them successful! Below are many opportunities that event volunteers may have a chance to do:
Positions Available may include, but not limited to:
- Actors/Strolling characters (Shriek Week or other events where we may rent a costumed mascot character)
- Running or assisting games booths
- Running or assisting with make & take booths
- Specialty skills like glitter tattoos, face-painting, or balloon art
- Taking tickets or helping put on wristbands
- Event preparation or break down-i.e. cutting crafts, set up/break down, or help with decorations
- Assisting or directing the public Assisting with ride lines
Who can volunteer?
Volunteers ages 14+ are welcomed and encouraged to join us. Sugar Sand Park might be the right place for you if you:
- Enjoy working with others
- Have a friendly and outgoing demeanor
- Need community service hours
- Love to be involved in your community
I'm in, what's next?
If you are interested in volunteering for Shriek Week:
- Please visit the Shriek Week page for the Shriek Week volunteer form.
- Turn in the Shriek Week Volunteer Form, along with all the required City of Boca Raton Volunteer forms below.
- If you are an active City of Boca Raton volunteer (have volunteered within the last 6 months) return just the Shriek Week form.
- If you are a returning Shriek Week volunteer from last year you will need to complete the Background Check only.
- Actors for the Haunted House require an audition.
- There is a mandatory orientation for ALL Shriek Week volunteers each year.
- Once you are in the Shriek Week Volunteer database you may be contacted for other Special Event
- Specific training and review of the Volunteer Handbook will be as needed for all other Special Events.
- Once all the forms are processed, volunteers are also encouraged to participate in other areas, i.e. if you are an Explorium or Theatre volunteer and would like to be involved in Special Events, that's great!
Sugar Sand Park is operated by the City of Boca Raton. Volunteers will need to complete a City Volunteer forms packet, including the background check for ALL volunteers. Complete the forms, indicating that you are interested in working Special Events at Sugar Sand Park, and return it to Sugar Sand Park Community Center. We will work with the City's Human Resources Office to process paperwork.
Volunteers 18 + years will also need to meet with the City of Boca of Raton Volunteer Coordinator at City Hall to receive a badge once the forms have been processed.
- Complete the form, indicating that you are interested in volunteering for Sugar Sand Park events, and return it to Sugar Sand Park Community Center.
- The Special Event Coordinator will work with the City’s Human Resources Office to process paperwork.
- City of Boca Raton Volunteer Forms